Wall as one of the fundamental part of your home plays an important role as your security, privacy, and decorative. Outer wall serve as your main shelter and Inner wall as partitions. Deciding the materials to use to build your house will serve as your protection, privacy, and the design you want it to looks like.
As part of my experienced and researched in buying the wall materials. I listed some details that will guide anyone about the description, thickness, length, width, and color before going to your nearest hardware to buy.
– Concrete Hollow Blocks (CHB) – the most conventional main wall material being use by Filipino home because of its availability. The most common thickness available to your nearest hardware store are 4″, 5″, and 6″ with height of 20 cm x 40 cm length, and specially made to order for 80 cm. or bigger.
4″ (thickness) x 20 cm. (height) x 40 cm. (length)
5″ (thickness) x 20 cm. (height) x 40 cm. (length)
6″ (thickness) x 20 cm. (height) x 40 cm. (length)
– SRC (Steel Reinforced Concrete) – is the modern alternative to CHB. SRC Panel System is a composite sandwich type structural panel composed of high tensile wires densely welded together, an expanded polystyrene (EPS) core, and concrete panels for exterior faces. The steel reinforced concrete panels provide tensile and compressive strength.
A standard thickness of 1.5″, width and height of 4 ft. x 8 ft. and 4 ft. x 10 ft. Price range of PHP 1,700 – 2,000. This varies from the manufacturer and made to order is available base on usage.
– Fiber Cement Board (Hardiflex) – is a composite material made of cement reinforced with cellulose fibers formed into sheet with different thickness. It is resistant from fire, termite attack, protected from moisture damage, and can hold medium impact. It has a standard dimension of 2438 mm. length x 1219 mm. width.
Thickness for wall use:
- HardieFlex ® Wall 4.5 mm is the standard solution for internal residential applications exposed to low traffic areas.
- HardieFlex ® Wall 6.0 mm is the standard solution for internal residential applications exposed to low to medium traffic areas. It is best suited for mid- and high-rise residential applications.
- HardieFlex ® Wall 9.0 mm and 12.0 mm are premium partition solutions exposed to high traffic areas. It is more resistant to impact, withstanding bumps and dents, and can give a more premium finish.
– Plywood – are made of thin slices of natural wood stacked together in several layers. It is being used mostly by our elders for many generations before the invention of concrete boards. Not until woods are become expensive these days and the quality of wood types has been degraded. Regardless of, plywood is still common and available to buy in the market.
An ordinary plywood can contain voids and larger knots that aren’t visible until the panel is cut. Unfilled edge voids allow water infiltration that can lead to rot or delamination. On the other hand, Marine plywood is made of many thinner layers with no voids or large knots.
Standard dimension available in the market are the ff:
Thickness: 1/8″ | 3/16″ | 1/4″ | 1/2″ | 3/4″
Standard Width: 4 ft.
Standard Length: 8 ft.
Points of View:
Understanding the materials cost and description will help you decide correctly before starting your project. It will save you money, time, and effort upon completion of your house.